Spring is here and it’s time to give our digestive systems a tune-up. After the winter months of consuming heavier, comfort foods, our bodies are craving lighter fare and an overall cleanse.
In order to do this, we must turn our attention to dietary fibre, definitely the most important nutrient for a healthy digestive system. Health organizations around the world recommend 21-38 grams of fibre daily, depending on gender and age; however, the fact remains that the majority of Canadians are not getting even half the daily recommended amount.
Fibre is unique nutrient in that it passes through our digestive systems intact from beginning to end. But along the way, the physiological benefits are immense, from lowering cholesterol, balancing blood sugar, improving constipation and regularity to providing feelings of satiety.
So how do we reap the benefits of this seemingly elusive nutrient? Here are 5 ways to sneak some fibre into your day:
- Consume 5-6 small meals per day, ensuring you have some fibre each time you eat. Each fibre choice should contain a minimum of 3 grams of fibre per serving.
- Get rid of all the white in your diet—white rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals, etc. White means no fibre. Replace all the white with whole grains and fibrous options. Steel cut oats, quinoa, sprouted bread, and sweet potatoes are nutritious replacements for traditional “white” carbohydrates.
- 2016 is the International Year of the Pulses; lentils, chickpeas, beans, and pearl barley make excellent protein and fibre additions to your soups, stews and pasta sauces.
- Keep a variety of seeds such as ground flax, chia and hemp in your pantry. These are such versatile options that can be added to yogurt, smoothies, and cereals (such as oats), baked goods, and salads. You can easily add an extra 5 grams per day just by sneaking in a few healthy seeds. Not to mention these seeds are a nutritious source of healthy omega-3 fats.
- Drink your fibre with Jamieson Digestive CareTM Daily Fibre. This is an easy to use, dissolvable form of fibre that is quick and convenient. It not only tastes delicious, but does not cause gas or bloating, common side effects of most fibre supplements. Daily Fibre provides 3 grams of fibre per serving. Use this fibre supplement meals and before bed to help improve your digestive rhythm.