Throat tickles got you troubled? Look no further than your kitchen cupboard for nature’s best defense against the cold season. Using everyday ingredients, these recipes will give your immune system an extra line of defense, serving as powerful first steps to stunting sickness before it strikes!
Vitamin C, often credited for its ability to treat and prevent your symptoms, is the hero in this flavourful citrus combo. Chock full of infection-fighting, immune-boosting, free-radical sparring properties, it arms this “flu shot” with all of the back-up you’ll need to banish early signs of the common cold.
To make 500 ml of juice, you'll need:
- 2 navel oranges
- 4 clementine oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 lemon
- Peel and seed each ingredient and process with a juicer or blender.
- Pour into short shot glasses and drink immediately.
The Real Deal
Oil of oregano is loaded with antioxidants, and when used to treat your cold and flu symptoms, acts as a highly effective anti-bacterial, making it an unconquerable opponent against fungus, infection and inflammation. Joined by anti-inflammatory ginger, virus-blasting lemon and cough-suppressing honey, this shot is most certainly worthy of its namesake.
For 1 shot, you'll need:
- 5 drops of oil of oregano
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1 tbsp of pure honey
- Blend these together, drop into a shot glass and enjoy at once to kick sickness to the curb!
A trusted ally in cold-combat, this shot boasts cough-clearing apple cider vinegar, a household staple rising to the centre of the wellness stage. To take it up a notch, you’ll also find ginger for immune defense. Did you know sweating is one of your body’s cooling mechanisms? When your temps reach a fever pitch, you produce water to take things down a notch. Capsaicin, a key ingredient in cayenne, is known for bringing the heat, making the pepper an underrated cold and flu contender. Add garlic to the mix and you can be sure you’ll keep your sick days.
For 2 shots, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- Make sure to peel the garlic before popping into your processor.
- Pulse all ingredients together, pour into a short shot glass and consume immediately.
With ingredients you’ll find in almost all of these flu-fighting fixes, this shot sticks to the basics while giving you the punch you need to get past the sickness slump.
For 1 shot, you’ll need:
- One 2” piece of fresh ginger, properly rinsed
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
- Grate ginger and add all ingredients to mix until consistent.
- Consume immediately.