Toronto (Oct 26, 2009) — Parents want to make sure their children are getting the nutrients they need to grow and thrive but sometimes it's easier said than done.
According to a recent Leger Marketing survey of Canadians parents with children between the ages of 3 and 12 conducted on behalf of Jamieson Laboratories, almost 60 percent of parents say their children are picky eaters with the same percentage of parents concerned their children aren't getting the proper nutrients they need for growth and development.
- Parents who have children between the ages of three and five were most likely to hide vegetables in their child's food.
- Survey results also showed most parents are unaware that Canada's Food Guide recommends four to six servings of fruits and vegetables per day for children between the ages of 3 and 12.
- In an effort to help parents combat these nutritional challenges, Jamieson has developed a line of all-natural, aspartame-free, multivitamins specifically formulated for children ages 3 to 13.
"I want my children to eat well but it's not always easy to get them to eat their vegetables," said Lisa Wilkinson. "As a parent, I want to ensure my child is getting the vitamins they need to thrive; even when they don't want to eat their broccoli! Having an all-natural supplement option available is important to me."
Vita-Vim™ for Kids vitamins are available in two formats — chewables and gummies. Gummies have a blend of 9 essential vitamins while chewables have a blend of 13 vitamins and 4 minerals. The new line of vitamins are specifically formulated to provide basic nutritional insurance for young children.
Made from a blend of concentrated fruits and vegetables derived from tomato, carrot, spinach, cranberry and lemon bioflavonoids, these all-natural, aspartame-free vitamins contain no artificial flavours, colours, salt or gluten. They are also lactose-free.
"No matter how hard parents try, children can't get all the essential vitamins and minerals they need through diet alone," says Michelle Latinsky, registered dietitian. "In combination with a healthy diet, an all natural supplement like Vita-Vim™ for Kids can provide nutritional balance for children and peace of mind for parents."
Vita-Vim™ for Kids — like all Jamieson products — are manufactured according to 360 Pure, Jamieson's quality assurance protocol that guarantees safety, potency and purity. To achieve this elevated level of excellence, each Jamieson product undergoes a minimum of 360 individual quality-control steps that begin with raw materials.
strong>Additional Jamieson Survey Highlights:
- Most parents feel dinner is the most challenging meal to ensure their child eats properly
- More than half of parents are likely to consider giving their child an all-natural vitamin to supplement his or her diet
- More than 40 percent of parents have hidden veggies in their children's food
- Quebec parents are the most concerned their children are not getting the nutrients they need for proper growth and development
- Younger parents, between 18 to 34, are more concerned than parents between the ages of 35 and 54 that their child is not getting enough nutrients required for proper growth and development (66 percent versus 57 percent, respectively)
A total of 510 Canadian parents with children between 3 and 12 years of age answered an online survey. Data collection for this study was conducted between August 18 and 26, 2009. The survey was conducted using a national random sample of 510 respondents. This method simulates a probability sample which would yield a maximum margin of error of +/-4.3%, 19 times out of 20.
 Jamieson Child Vitamin Study, Leger Marketing. August 28, 2009.