Vegan Ackee and “Saltfish”
Ackee and saltfish is a traditional Jamaican recipe. My vegan version substitutes the cod for palm hearts, but still includes the ackee (a native Jamaican fruit), veggies and a hearty bunch of spices that will make your taste buds sing.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 can of heart of Palms
- 1 can of ackee
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 whole Spanish onion, diced
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 sheet of Nori
- 1 teaspoon of Allspice
- 3-4 Pimento balls
- ½ Scotch bonnet pepper
- Cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Prepare vegan “saltfish”
- Open can and remove water from heart of palms
- Take tube like palms and with your hands rip and pull palms into shreds and pieces that resemble saltfish
- Prepare a bowl of water with 2 cups of water and ¼ cup of salt and 1 sheet of nori. Soak hearts palms for 30mins-1hr
- Rinse and dry
- Chop onions, tomatoes to desired size
- Chop ½ scotch bonnet pepper (this depends on how spicy you want it!)
- Use three thyme stems
- Use 3-4 pimento balls
- Open can of ackee, drain and dry to reduce liquid
Combining ackee and vegan “saltfish”
- In a pan, warm your tbsp of oil
- Add in tomatoes, onions, scotch bonnet, pimentos and pinch of allspice and toss
- Add in vegan saltfish and toss till the onions begin to brown
- Add ackee and lightly toss, not too much or it will break apart!
- Add salt and pepper for taste
- add in pieces of nori to give it more of that fish-like taste.
- Serve with bakes, dumplings or on rice!