Fall in love with this dip. Dips have a bad rap because it’s easy to overeat, and the calories can add up quickly. That’s why we love this dip, because it’s loaded with healthy ingredients that won’t break the bank or the waistband.
What’s in it?
- The main ingredient in this dip is chickpeas. Chickpeas are rich in protein and fibre, helping to keep you fuller longer.
- Pumpkin houses many nutrients, especially beta-carotene. It’s packed with antioxidants, which help keep oxidative stress at bay and prevent cellular damage. Pumpkin is also a source of vitamin C, which helps support the immune system.
What makes it sweet?
- We love honey and maple syrup as sweeteners, and you probably do, too. The main reason for this is that honey and maple syrup have a lower glycemic index than sugar. The glycemic index evaluates how fast a food item increases blood sugar levels. Honey and maple syrup don’t spike blood sugar as fast as sugar does.
- Another reason why honey and maple syrup are great alternatives to sugar is the nutritional value. Honey contains trace amounts of vitamins like B vitamins, vitamin C, minerals and antioxidants, while maple syrup contains some minerals like manganese and zinc.
Come snack time, you’re all set for a nutritious, sweet and delicious fall treat with this pumpkin pie spice dip.
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup cashew butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- optional: sliced apples to dip
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spoon into a bowl and dip liberally with apple slices!