There’s nothing quite as refreshing as a juicy cocktail on a sunny summer afternoon. As delicious and refreshing as they are, these patio-favourites also come bearing unnecessary sugars, calories, and alcohol. If you’re opting for a healthier alternative this summer, we’ve got some mocktail recipes you’ll love. Not only are these drink recipes the summer à côté you never knew you needed, but they help curb that fancy-drink-regret that often comes when empty calories aren’t looming over your every sip.
Piña Colada Smoothie
Yields 2 glasses
- ½ banana, sliced
- ½ cup of pineapple chunks
- ⅓ cup of pineapple juice
- ¼ cup of coconut milk
- 6 ice cubes
Whiz all ingredients together from solid to liquid and voilà! The taste of the islands.
Apple Pie Moscow Mule
It’s official: apple and ginger were made for each other. A great excuse to use those copper mugs, this apple pie Moscow mule is the stuff of dreams.
- 4 ounces of apple cider
- 1 bottle of ginger beer
- Cinnamon sticks and apple slices for garnish (optional but recommended)
- Grab your cups and fill with ice as desired.
- In your cocktail shape or mixing apparatus (see: regular juice jug), mix apple cider and ginger beer until combined.
- Fill mugs and garnish to your heart’s content.
Sparkling Cranberry Kombucha Cocktail
Who knew gut health could look so chic! Feast your eyes on this delicious mocktail recipe: tangy but sweet, this light crisp drink is the answer to your sober summer dreams. To make this, you’ll need:
- 1-inch slice of fresh ginger
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- ½ cup of reduce-sugar cranberry juice
- 2 12-ounce bottles of your favourite kombucha (we like to make our own)
- Fresh cranberries, rosemary, and ginger for garnish
- Throw rosemary and ginger into a large pitcher. Muddle until mixed.
- Add cranberry juice and kombucha and stir until combined.
- Pour over ice into your favourite old-fashioned glasses and enjoy!