This recipe is an homage to my Nordic roots. My Estonian ancestors survived long dark winters by relying on comforting, immune-supporting dishes loaded with garlic, shallots, dill (contains Vitamin A) and nutritious root vegetables. The result is a warm, creamy and satisfying winter dish!
- Chicken: A good source of protein, which is required to help make antibodies, an important aspect of our immune system.
Baby Spinach: Spinach contains vitamin A, vitamin C and zinc; all are required to support a healthy immune system.
Carrots: Carrots are rich in vitamin A, which is important for healthy immune function.
Garlic: Traditionally used in Herbal Medicine to help relieve the symptoms associated with upper respiratory tract infections and nasal congestion.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms contain protein and are the only vegan source of vitamin D which is an essential vitamin that helps to support the immune system. Shiitake mushrooms provide antioxidants and are immuno-modulating.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
Tip: Switch this recipe up by trying the braised chicken as a hearty Chicken Pot Pie filling! Simply fill small ramekins with filling, top with thawed puff pastry (brushed with egg wash) and bake at 400F until pastry is golden brown.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups semi-sweet white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 2 cups dried mushrooms (shiitake, portobello, oyster, porcini etc.)
- 1/2 cup packed chopped dill
- 4 tbsp white miso
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and crushed
- 6 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup 18% sour cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Golden Mashed Potatoes
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes (1 kg), peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots (500 g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup 2% milk, warmed
- 1 tsp sea salt
Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear chicken until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Add wine, mushrooms, dill, miso, mustard, garlic, shallots, black pepper and salt. Stir well; submerge mushrooms. Cover; reduce temperature to low. Simmer until chicken and mushrooms are tender, about 2 hours. Stir in spinach until wilted; stir in sour cream. Remove from heat.
Meanwhile, in large pot, cover potatoes and carrots with cold water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 40 minutes; strain. Add butter, milk and salt to pot. Mash with whish or potato masher until smooth. Add additional milk, if needed.
Serve chicken and sauce generously poured over top of mashed potatoes and top with additional dill sprigs.
Creator Name: Paul Lillakas
Instagram Handle: @paullillakas