If you’re like me and you enjoy a big bowl of warm soup during those chilly fall and winter evenings, this recipe is perfect for you. This turmeric soup includes carrots which are full of vitamin A, lentils that pack a ton of protein, as well as kale that’s loaded with vitamin C for an immunity-supporting powerhouse meal. Serve it up with your choice of crackers, or freshly baked bread and enjoy!
Carrots: Carrots contain vitamin A, which is important for healthy immune function.
- Kale: Kale is among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It contains a good amount of vitamins A and C, important for supporting immune health.
Lentils: Contain a high amount of zinc, which helps maintain a healthy immune system. Lentils are also a good source of protein which is required to help make antibodies, another important aspect of our immune system.
Lemon: Contains high levels of vitamin C,an important antioxidant for supporting immune health.
Ginger: Traditionally used in Herbal Medicine as an expectorant and cough suppressant to help relieve bronchitis as well as the common cold.
Garlic: Traditionally used in Herbal Medicine to help relieve the symptoms associated with upper respiratory tract infections and nasal congestion.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Total Time = 35 minutes Servings: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” ginger root, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red lentils, dry
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- In a large pot on medium heat, warm olive oil.
- Add onion and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, chili flakes and salt and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add lentils and stir to coat with the vegetable mixture.
- Cover with broth, stir to combine, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Once lentils are cooked, add chopped kale, stirring to combine, and cook for an additional 5 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Remove from the heat, stir in lemon juice and season with additional salt to taste.
- This soup can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months.
Nutrition Per Serving (Source: Nutrifox):
- Calories = 309 calories
- Fat = 9 grams
- Carbohydrates = 48 grams
- Fibre = 9 grams
- Sugars = 7 grams
- Protein = 13 grams
- Vitamin A = 62%
- Vitamin C = 33%
Zinc = 20%