This vegetarian farro bowl is a delicious marriage of colour, flavour, texture and nutrition, plus it will give your immune system a little extra support through the tough winter months. This meal provides you with a ton of vitamin A from the carrots, squash and kale and still has a good amount of lean protein from the farro grain. A tasty, simple, well-balanced way to get the nutrients you need to help you through cold and flu season.
- Carrots: Carrots contain vitamin A, which is important for healthy immune function.
- Squash: Winter squash offers a good supply of vitamin A as well as vitamin C, both of which contribute to a healthy immune system.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms contain protein and are the only vegan source of vitamin D, which is an essential vitamin that helps to support the immune system.
- Kale: High in vitamins A and C; both vitamins are important for maintaining and supporting your immune system.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds contain zinc, an essential mineral that helps to maintain and support your immune system.
- 1 cup farro, uncooked
- 4 medium multi-coloured heirloom carrots, sliced
- 2 cups squash, diced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms (I used mini)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup goat feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
Orange ginger turmeric vinaigrette
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp prepared Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, cook the farro according to the directions on the package.
Preheat oven to 425 °F.
Toss carrots, squash and mushrooms with sesame oil, tamari, cumin and coriander. Place carrots in a single layer on a aluminum foil-lined baking sheet, and squash and mushrooms on another aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes until golden. Mushrooms will look shrunken and dark. Remove from oven and set aside.
While the veggies are roasting, wash, chop and massage kale and set aside.
Crumble feta and set aside.
For the vinaigrette: place all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well, until incorporated.
To assemble the bowls:
Divide the farro among 4 bowls. Top with equal portions of kale, carrots, squash and mushrooms. Sprinkle with crumbled feta. Drizzle with 2 tbsp vinaigrette over the veggies and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds. Serve the rest of the vinaigrette on the side. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Follow @thekitchensinkblog for more recipes!