Quiz time! Do you love banana-nut? Are you big on nutrition? Is your gut in need of a tune up? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then this recipe is for you. Want in on it? The password is Prebiotics.
Just like you, your gut bacteria need nourishing. That’s where prebiotics come in. These indigestible carbs slide into your lower digestive tract where they act as a lunch wagon for your gut’s good bacilli.
Bananas. As they are high in resistant starch, their flesh acts as a prebiotic fibre. This fibre is known to both increase good gut bacteria, as well as reduce bloating.
Our 2nd favourite thing about this recipe is the chia. High in quality protein and fibre, these small but mighty seeds are dense in hard-to-get nutrients like omega-3, manganese, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus.
This recipe combines these, and a few other delicious pieces, to bring you the make-ahead breakfast you’ll want to wake up for.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- ⅔ cup gluten-free quick oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Add oats, chia seeds and cinnamon to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add peanut butter, mashed banana and unsweetened almond milk and mix again.
- Once fully combined, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with more banana, almonds, walnuts, and blueberries, or toppings of choice.