This grilled radicchio salad is packed with vitamins and minerals that help support overall immune health. The kale is high in vitamin A and vitamin C, both of which are important for maintaining immunity. The citrus in this salad adds incredible flavour, is bursting with colour, and also has a substantial amount of vitamin C. Try out this quick and easy salad to help you through cold and flu season.
Citrus fruit: Contains high levels of vitamin C which helps to support your immune health.
Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt has a higher content of protein than other types of yogurt. Our bodies require protein to help make antibodies, an important aspect of our immune system
Pistachios: Contains zinc which helps support immune function.
Feta Cheese: Not only does feta cheese contain calcium, but it also is high in protein, which is required to help make antibodies, an important aspect of our immune system.
- Kale: High in vitamin A and C, both vitamins are important for maintaining and supporting your immune system.
Ingredients For the Salad
- 2 radicchio, medium size
- 1 box, (5 oz) of baby kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil, (more if needed)
- 1 large or 2 small ruby grapefruit
- 1 large or 2 small oranges, (any variety)
- 1⁄2 cup pistachio nuts, lightly salted
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- handful of fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Salad Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup plain 2 % Greek yogourt
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions for the Salad
- Cut the radicchio into quarters, but leave the core intact. Carefully spread the radicchio apart and using a pastry brush lightly brush with olive oil.
- Pre-heat grill pan to medium-high heat, once hot add 1 tbsp of olive oil and place the radicchio in the pan. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, If needed add a bit more oil, turn radicchio over and continue cooking until the edges are nice and browned and the leaves have softened. The radicchio should be lightly charred. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife peel and slice both grapefruit and oranges, I like to do this over a bowl to catch the juices, (the juices will be added to the salad dressing). Set aside.
Directions for the Salad Dressing
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. If not sweet enough add a bit more honey.
- Set aside until ready to assemble the salad.
To assemble the Salad
- Place the baby kale on a large serving platter, pour a bit of the dressing and toss baby kale to coat lightly.
- Lay the grilled radicchio on top of the baby kale.
- Place grapefruit and oranges segments over the radicchio.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese.
- Scatter pistachios and torn mint leaves.
- Drizzle with salad dressing, salt and a few grinds of pepper.
Any leftover dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You can use any soft cheese in place of the feta; try goat cheese or buffalo mozzarella.
Instagram Handle: @lovethycarrot